published: 04.01.2013, 13:13 | updated: 04.01.2013 13:22:24
Prague - Candidates running for Czech president and politicians have welcomed the Constitutional Court´s (US) decision today that the direct presidential election will start next weekend in accordance with the schedule.
The US did not meet senator Tomio Okamura´s proposal that the polls be adjourned. Its decision also definitively means that Okamura, a candidate who was previously eliminated from the presidential contest, will not participate in it.
Prime Minister Petr Necas (Civic Democrats, ODS) appreciated the US for having decided on the presidential election in a mere one week.
Justice Minister Pavel Blazek (ODS) has hailed the US decision as well.
The candidates addressed by CTK said they are glad that the first ever direct presidential election has not been challenged.
"I take note of the US decision and I appreciate it that the judges have decided in so short a period of time," Necas said in a press statement his spokesman gave to CTK.
Blazek welcomed the prospect of the election taking place as scheduled.
"It is good news for our country´s citizens. The presidential election may help us start the changes the Czech politics urgently needs," said Jan Fischer, former prime minister who is one of the election favourites.
"I consider it a wise decision," another candidate, Christian Democrat (KDU-CSL) MEP Zuzana Roithova, said.
Senate deputy chairman Premysl Sobotka, the candidate fielded by the senior ruling Civic Democratic Party (ODS), also said it was wise of the US not to challenge the previously set election date.
Opposition Social Democrat (CSSD) senator and presidential candidate Jiri Dienstbier said this US decision could be expected and now it must be respected by all.
"Nothing prevents the election from taking place without being challenged," Dienstbier said.
Junior ruling TOP 09´s candidate and Foreign Minister Karel Schwarzenberg said he hopes that the election´s legitimacy will no longer be challenged now that the US confirmed the election date.
Schwarzenberg told the media he is glad that the polls will be held as scheduled.
A total of nine candidates are running in the polls whose first round is scheduled for January 11-12 and a possible second round two weeks later.
Apart from confirming the election date, the US today said it will continue dealing with Okamura´s complaint including his proposal for scrapping some articles in the legislation linked to the direct presidential elections.
04.01.2013 | 12:00
Czech Constitutional Court head to deal with Okamura´s complaint
28.12.2012 | 09:46
Bobosikova may run for Czech president, Dlouhy, Okamura rejected
13.12.2012 | 13:33
21.05.2013 | 16:28
21.05.2013 | 14:43
21.05.2013 | 12:04
President Zeman declares war to Czech democracy - German press
21.05.2013 | 11:16
Czech press survey - May 21
21.05.2013 | 07:23
Govt counts on internal debate preceding Czech adoption of euro
20.05.2013 | 16:45
Za Putnu kritizují Zemana studenti i ČSSD, docenti zvažují svou účast na jmenování